Tuesday, August 31, 2010

God is Unjust

I hope that title grabbed your attention! Before we get to the meat of this post, allow me to throw out some definitions so we are all on the same page.

Justice - giving someone something they deserve or not giving someone something they do not deserve.
EXAMPLE: Jimmy worked hard all week, Jimmy gets a paycheck or
Jimmy did not work this week, Jimmy does not get a paycheck

It would follow, then, that Injustice would be the opposite of Justice, right?

Injustice - giving someone something they do not deserve or not giving someone something they do deserve

Do you know what we call injustice in the church? Grace and Mercy.

Grace - God giving us things we don't deserve, like forgiveness
Mercy - God not giving us things we do deserve, like judgment

"Because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith..." Ephesians 2:4,5 and 9

I am absolutely gripped by this passage (which is good because I am preaching on it this Sunday). God loves us so much that He broke the rules. We were "dead in our transgressions." We deserved punishment and condemnation and yet, God sent His only Son, Jesus, to be the atoning sacrifice for us so that God could shower us with grace and mercy. I realize my title is incomplete, it should read "God is Unjust, but only to believers."

God's justice came full force upon the person of Jesus, this is why he cried out "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" All of the sin, all of the punishment that should have been ours to bear by right was charged to His account. I have never been so thankful to be cheated out of my rightful inheritance! Mercy is the outgrowth of God's love and grace the overflow of His kindness, thank you, Lord, for both. Mercy triumphs over judgment, hallelujah!

If this is the example set forth for us, can we really withhold mercy and grace from one another? Go be unjust today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment