Friday, January 14, 2011

Meekness and Prayer

A brief break from Luke...

One of my goals for 2011 is to self-publish my first book. I am writing the book on the subject of "Meekness" since it is my favorite character trait and one that I think is essential to the Christian life. In the course of my research I have discovered the following. Please excuse the tenses, I just copied and pasted it from my facebook page.

"So, I just found out something that got me really excited. If I transliterate the greek work for "meek" into english it looks like this... "prays". Now, I don't think there is anything linguistically earth shattering about this, but I like to think that living meekly is, in and of itself, a prayer to God.

Conversely, "to pray" (pros+euchomai) literally means, "at what should we be wishing?" So when the disciples as Jesus to teach them to pray, they are, in effect, asking, "Jesus, what should we be wishing for? What do you want to do in this world?" Daydreaming of God's Kingdom to come on earth - that sounds about right for prayer."


I hope that excites your spirit as much as it did mine.


Ben

2 comments:

  1. this is really interesting - to be honest, i've never really known what 'meekness' is, other than something that jesus apparently likes. :) great insight!

    what an awesome plan - to publish a book! you definitely have the writing skills and an interesting topic. i'll definitely read it when you've finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also - left a response on the kitchen blog about the lemon juice/acv combo todd drinks.

    ReplyDelete